• Gözlüküle Excavation and Research Center
  • Gözlüküle Excavation and Research Center
  • Gözlüküle Excavation and Research Center
  • Gözlüküle Excavation and Research Center
  • Gözlüküle Excavation and Research Center
  • Gözlüküle Excavation and Research Center
  • Gözlüküle Excavation and Research Center
  • Gözlüküle Excavation and Research Center
  • Gözlüküle Excavation and Research Center
  • Gözlüküle Excavation and Research Center

Gözlüküle Excavation and Research Center

The excavations at Gözlükule mound reveal that the first settlement in Tarsus began in the Neolithic period and continued uninterruptedly into the Early Islamic Period. The most widely accepted story claims that Tarsus was founded by the Assyrians. The region was ruledby the Greeks, Persians, Alexander the Great, Seleucids and Romans from the 8th century BCE onwards. The town is also worldwide acclaimed as the birthplace of St. Paul, one of the founding figures of Christianity and the authors of the Bible.In the Medieval period,Tarsus changed hands among Umayyads, Abbasids, Byzantines and the Crusaders. After the 13th century, the town was ruled by the Mamluks, Ramazanoğulları and Dulkadiroğulları principalities respectively until it was annexed to the Ottoman Empire in 1516. Tarsus,which was a town of Adana Province in 1870s, is now a district centre of Mersin province.Tarsus today is a significant town with its rich archaeological heritage, traditional residential architecture and monumental buildings along the Mediterranean coast.Sayka has carriedout documentation, conservation, restoration and urban planning works in two important areas of the city since 1995.

Tarsus today is a significant town with its rich archaeological heritage, traditional residential architecture and monumental buildings along the Mediterranean coast.Sayka has carried out documentation, conservation, restoration and urban planning works in two important areas of the city since 1995.

The Tarsus Old Ginnery complex (TOG), located in the Tarsus district of Mersin province, was built in 1865 by the British and it is thought to be one of the earliest industrial buildings of the Mediterreanean region.The dilapidated buildings of an abandoned 19th century ginnery have been restored in three phases to serve as the premises of Boğaziçi Üniversity’s excavation team working on the ancient mound of Gözlükule in the heart of the city, with an additional conference hall and exhibition spaces for visitors.The complex is thus reintegrated into the contemporary life of the city, serving the research and enriching the social and cultural life of the local communities.The old ginnery is simultaneously reimagined through sustainable design, and retains its unique historic character as an industrial heritage monument.It is the first industrial heritage complex in Turkey to have been awarded a LEED Gold Certificate.


 

LOCATION TARSUS-MERSİN 
CLIENT BOĞAZICI UNIVERSITY 
STATUS COMPLETED
TYPE CULTURE- RESEARCH CENTER-BUILDING CONSERVATION- IMPLEMENTATION
AREA 2569 m2
YEAR 2013-2017